Sunday, October 5, 2008

Barbed Confetti

A poem written by my good friend Lewis O'Leary :]

I’ve lived on the sunshine coast for a long eighteen years
And every day I see a ghost when the sunshine disappears
Though one always follows another, every night in jamais vu
While we are talking to each other, I mistake that ghost for you
Though I mistake it happily, I’ve seen it every day since when
Your Etiäinen was called to me and never sent to rest again

The words had been said, on the night we were wed
Skimming our river pebble confetti together
All thrown to the bed, of an estuary fed
In all the seasons, by the Moore River

Good night, good night, Jarlsberg Jesus, Idiochrist
Mashed church and cold chapel the redeemer of my life
Without your stained glass shelter or your generous host
I would be out every night talking to a ghost

I remember a week before the night that you were drowned
I stood on that very shore and listened to the sound
Listened without any care, to the grumbling deep low harmony
Of all the powerful water there, making its way out to sea
But time it seems has broken, the water lying on that bed
And all the things left unspoken, seem the only things worth said

Good night, good night, tinged morning, tinged light
Winter rain mixed up with silt, and wrong mixed up with right
And tinged blame mixed up with guilt and burnt now in a fire
Your ghost will haunt me one last time, tangled up in barbed wire

A church is only as strong as the faith that you will build it on
My faith; the hands of your Vardøger on the banks near Guilderton

No comments: